Communications Specialist (full time)
Report to: Director of Marketing
Location: Los Angeles Dream Center
The marketing department at the Dream Center is innovative and mission-driven. The small but effective marketing team works hard to fulfill the daily needs of the organization while developing the brand that best communicates the mission. The marketing department services multiple entities, including the Dream Center which is a faith-based non-profit organization, and Angelus Temple, a Foursquare non-denominational Christian church located in Echo Park. The ideal Communications Specialist is creative and strategic and has branding, marketing and communications experience in both the non-profit and for-profit industries.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for creating well-crafted, compelling, and on-brand copy for a wide range of projects and initiatives across the department and company. Writing assignments include copy for print, digital, and media in both short and long-form. This position will also be responsible for working closely with the Director of Marketing and the team to develop communication strategies, positioning, content, and more for new branding initiatives. The position will entail management of people, projects, and content.
The ability to have fun with a positive attitude while working hard is essential to the atmosphere of the department. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and possess the ability to proactively work on projects with minimal supervision, while working well collaboratively with the team. This position will also entail a lot of interaction with different kinds of people and personalities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate, research, write, and execute marketing and communication tools, achieving the highest level of quality and ensuring consistency with corporate identity, and brand messaging for but not limited to:
- promotional, advertising, fundraising, and brand material
- website, print, video, and social media, PR material
- testimonials for staff members
- Collaborate with the team to create effective marketing material as required, come up with strong creative concepts and determine target audience along with messaging and tone.
- Engage in up-to-date research on issues related to the Dream Center’s mission.
- Research, conceptualize, and produce with the team to create a branding style guide.
- Conduct interviews with participants of the programs at the Dream Center to gather testimonials and success stories.
- Provide support to all departments within the Dream Center to ensure that all material reflects cohesive and consistent brand “voice”.
- Support Marketing Director in creating elements needed and related to developing a brand style guide
- Conduct interviews with participants of the programs at the Dream Center to gather testimonials and success stories
- Writes, proofreads, and edits short- and long-form copy across mediums including: emails, advertisements (print and digital) and campaigns, promotional materials, social media posts, videos, and websites for clarity, style consistency, spelling and grammar.
- Assist the Director of Marketing, and other managers on the team to develop and organize content.
- Translates complex concepts into clear, concise and reader-friendly copy. This includes independently researching topics to facilitate content development.
- Create editorial and content calendars and schedules
- Moderate all user-generated content for each community and platform (respond to questions, get reviews and organize chats and Q&A sessions)
- Develop and implement strategic media plans and foster and maintain media relations to promote the organization
- Identify and develop newsworthy features for multiple communication channels including media
- Support the organization during emergency situations and represent the organization as a spokesperson as needed
- Establish and implement guidelines, leveraging best practices, for marketing automation, across email marketing, nurture programs, landing pages, and web forms
- Assist with planning, set-up, and execution of internal and external marketing events
- Always create an environment that is: collaborative, dependable, insightful, innovative, memorable, innovative, passionate, agile, driven, diverse, analytical and intentional.
- Attend public city or community meetings and events to learn about current issues and seek opportunities
- Any other requests made by the Director of Marketing to support the department.
- Assist other marketing efforts including but not limited to research, data entry, content creation, admin, etc. Support the creative team and other departments when needed.
Ideal Candidates Will Have:
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or alternative in related field preferred
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience in marketing, writing and content, and communications or public relations, with demonstrated success
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and take on multiple tasks
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent writing skills, including logic and structure, grammar, usage, syntax, and punctuation, for emails, letters, reports, memos, presentations, ad copy, and all forms of collateral
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, to the point of serving as role model/mentor/leader to others in the organization
- Ability to write in various “tones” and adapt to other styles of writing
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations strategy/activities, creating presentations, and concepting campaigns
- Must have personnel, and project management experience
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Google Docs, and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Familiar with the AP and Oxford Style guides preferred
- Must have strong conceptual and strategic skills
- Fluency in speaking and writing Spanish a plus
- Possess a positive, service-oriented attitude and be a proven team player, and works well with others
Please fill out all required fields.
Schedule a tour
Join us for one of our weekly tours to experience the Dream Center firsthand, and hear the stories of lives being transformed for the better.
Tours are available every week, Tuesdays and Fridays at 1pm.
Hope to see you soon!